Monday, May 29, 2006

Shaken

The very first thing that woke me up last Saturday was the news about Indonesia. An earthquake has shaken their country once again. It feels like every country in Asia is being punished by natural calamities one by one. Pakistan was hit by an earthquake last December. Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Thailand and India has fallen victim of the 2004 tsunami and I don't think Indonesia has recovered yet and now this...6.3 magnitude earthquake has shaken one of their most populous provinces which as of this moment the death toll is still rising. But that doesn't end there, Mt. Merapi is getting active by the minute and looks like going to erupt any moment. My heart and prayer goes out to them and at the same time I am also thankful that my country has been spared so far from earthquakes.

Of all the natural calamities, I am most afraid of earthquakes, there's no way to go, you can't run, you can't hide, you can't do anything, you are at God's mercy. I pray to God everyday He'd spare our country from it or if it really has to happen I hope I'm with my kids. I can't bear to lose them and just the thought of them growing up without me, it's too heartbreaking so I hope we die together. I hope I'm not being selfish or unfair...it's just a mother's wish.

May His will be done not mine.

1 comment:

Sheryn said...

You are not being selfish, just human. I had the same thoughts after 9/11. I just wished that if something did happen again in the US, that it wouldn't happen on the East Coast. I always feel horrible thinking things like that. I would never wish anything bad on anyone but I guess its human nature to want to protect yourself and your family.

Hope you are well.