Monday, July 4, 2011

A Very Objective Blog from Someone Who Isn't Very Objective (when it comes to Rafa)

The first set seemed tight and it was actually until Nole broke Rafa's serve on the 9th game and that was where the trouble began. However, my hope was still there, it was, after all just the first set.

But what was happening? This was not the Rafa I watched against Murray the other day? Nole has no business beating Rafa on the slams.

Was it really just the gluten, Nole?

But after two games on the 2nd set I was convinced Nole sold his soul to the devil or made a pact with him or something.


My chest was tightening and found it hard to breathe so I changed channel a few times just to take my mind off the game for a little while. Rafa was losing. Noooo!

On the third set I found myself fist pumping, ala Masha, along with Rafa. I never fist pumped that much my entire life but if it gets Rafa hyped up, well then, vamooooos! I was so sure Rafa could dig himself out of the hole Nole made for him, Rafa has done it 3 times already in the past but Nole was everywhere, he was, at that moment much like Rafa last year. The ball just kept coming back notwithstanding the angles. I hate Nole! But sometimes I love him, right now I hate him. Gosh, I think I could write the saddest line tonight! Apologies to Pablo Neruda for stealing his lines.

On the 4th set I think I've accepted the fact that Rafa may not come out of Wimbledon with the trophy but still the image of Nole holding the trophy and Rafa the silver platter still made my jaw dropped. It's unbelievable. I felt like crying. The only thing that consoled me a bit was the way Rafa handled his defeat, really humble, that guy! He also stole the limelight from Novak, inadvertently, of course! He was just being himself, charming and humble and the crowd loved it. So did I.

No comments: