Monday, August 27, 2012

Good job, Mr. Robredo!


Back in 2006... I worked for a governor in some province, probably the scariest and most traumatic experience I've had in my career(?). What career?! Anyway, looking back and realizing now what I did not realize then is that they were like the Ampatuans. Right. The reason I'm bringing this up is because I couldn't help but be sad about our DILG Secretary Jesse Robredo's passing. A very good man, he was. Had I known, Mr Robredo I would've paid more attention to you. I'm so sorry.

So here's my piece of  whatever, I have heard of talks (back in 2006 don't forget) about a certain mayor whose principle is the direct opposite of my former boss. This mayor was against gambling and he did everything in his power to keep it away from his territory and he succeeded which in turn made my boss's side of the family hate this mayor, they've become political enemies as a result. By the way, the mayor and my boss are first cousins. Being deaf and blind about politics that I was, I pretended to listen and actually cared about what was being told to me, I didn't even bother to remember the mayor's name, all I cared about that time was to get the hell out that office.

Fast forward to the present, an office mate of mine told me in passing that Robredo was their beloved mayor, blah blah blah! I stopped her in mid sentence because a drawer in my brain suddenly opened and reminded me an episode in my life. I almost screamed when I realized that the nameless mayor I was told back in 2006 was/is Jesse Robredo. Dear me, it felt like I just put together pieces of a jigsaw puzzle.

Mr. Robredo, I salute for standing your ground. A righteous man, you are.

(photo borrowed from Jun Pasa)

"Despite the difficulties, despite the limitations, despite the harassment, good governance is possible. By simply providing that inspiration, sometimes the subordinates are better than their leaders. In the case of Naga, I have done well not because I am smart, not because I am good, but because I have good people who discovered that they are better because they are inspired.

The capacity to govern is not magical. It has to be cultivated over time."

No comments: