Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Confessions of a Teacher's Pet (for a day)

I attended a seminar in Makati last Thursday, The Guerilla Graphic Design. I would love to talk about the seminar but I wouldn’t want to bore anyone to death so instead I’d be talking about the teacher, he was funny, smart, talented and really, really passionate about his job, who wouldn’t, I think being a graphic designer is a really cool job. He’s also a writer and I just found out about it now, he’s also a singer, before the seminar ended he ask us to check out his website, www.soundclick.com/xmanila, I bet he composed all his songs. Really talented, that guy.
I was seated on the right side of his table, the nearest to him, I felt like a teacher’s pet. I didn’t like it but I had no choice my eyes are really bad nowadays, I brought my eyeglasses with me just in case, but I had no intentions of wearing it. When the lecture started, he started to ask questions about Photoshop, I knew the answer but I didn’t dare raise my hand but nobody was answering so I sort of mumbled the answer, soft enough to be a whisper but loud enough for him to hear, to my surprise he understood, my answer was right. Before I knew it I was answering almost all his questions correctly, like a really good teacher’s pet would. I was never the teacher’s pet in school but that day, I was, and I liked it. Ha-ha-ha!
When we had our first break, everyone was eager to get out to have their coffee breaks including my officemate, I was the second to the last who got out of the room because, as usual, my things all over the place, I had to tidy up first, kakahiya naman. But before I headed for the door the teacher offered me a half of his snack, grabe na ‘to! teacher’s pet na talaga ako! I said, “No, thanks.” I struck up a conversation instead, ayoko naman na magmukhang suplada, kahit sobrang nawiwiwi na ako, buti na lang pumasok yung assistant nya kaya may dahilan na akong lumabas.
He was giving out a seminar voucher at the PCCI (where he also teaches), so he asked us to drop our calling cards in a bowl, I didn’t have a company calling card so I asked my officemate to give me one of his cards, I erased his name, cellphone number and email address and wrote mine instead. Messy talaga at nakakahiya. But I guess, luck was on side that day, umuwi na yung unang pangalan na nabunot so they had to draw out another name, he had a hard time reading the name on the card, “Baka ako na yun?” I thought to myself. Voila! Ako nga!
I suppose, it solidified everything, teacher’s pet nga ako that day!

No comments: