Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Katrina Remembered (from the other side of the world)


I should've posted this yesterday but I was busy... enough of excuses!

How could anyone forget Katrina? She made landfall last year, it was Monday evening here, I was supposed to attend a very important meeting that night but I opted to stay home and watch CNN because I was hoping to see Anderson. It will be my third time to see Anderson that year, the first time was when he covered the Asian tsunami, the second time was in August, when he was in Niger and then Katrina, also on the same month.
Hurricanes never bothered me before, I ignored it completely, all I knew was that we don't have it here, thank God. Anderson changed all that, he made a weathergirl out of me. From that time on, I keep my eye on the weather everyday...

Katrina shocked me, It's was my first time to watch a hurricane, with all it's strength and power unfolding before my very eyes. I monitored her from the time she was conceived to the minute she made landfall. And then, I thank God some more we have no hurricanes in Makati City. There's no way we could recover from it and I'm not bringing up our government yet! Anyway, I saw last night on CNN that too little has been changed since it hit New Orleans and Mayor Nagin's still bragging of the supposed "plans" that he has. I think it's still on paper, the plan is still a plan, not implemented yet. I'm wishing everyone in New Orleans well. And, I pray that Katrina, with all the mistakes made, will not happen again. Sure, every now and then, I'm wishing for hurricanes to happen but I don't really mean it, it's just that there are days that I miss Anderson so much.

Let's not forget Katrina, the FEMA failure she exposed, the levees she broke, the families she destroyed, the dreams she shattered and the lives she cut short. Let's us not, in every possible way, let it happen again.

Anderson, don't let them forget!


special thanks to sheryn for the lovely screencap

1 comment:

Sheryn said...

Hey Girl!!! Thanks for the link! Feel free to use my caps anytime! Hope you are well.

Great post.