Sunday, November 6, 2005

It’s just like riding a bike…

"I need two paintings for my school project, I already have a concept but I need help, can you help me, teacher?" (teacher talaga ang tawag, ha, ha, ha…)
‘Sure." I said. "That’s what I’m here for."
Aa025363_2
She wanted to use acrylic for the paintings but Frauline and I told her that oil would be better, personally, I don’t like acrylic, it’s part of the reason I insisted on oil. We shouldn’t have a problem using oil, after all, we did lots of oil paintings back in college. How hard can it be? It will be like riding a bike, you never forget it…only, I don’t know how to ride a bike.

We listed all the materials she had to buy, she bought some of it but somehow she forgot to buy one of the most important materials…turpentine. So we had to go to Rockwell and Glorietta to buy materials with her! I don’t mind going shopping with her, really, it’s just that she’s so tall, so creamy/korean white, so young, so sexy and she dresses like ‘Wonder Woman,’ and I’m saying it only with affection. Tee hee. No matter how nice we dress, we always end up looking like her yaya.
A week after we went shopping, my co-teacher (ha ha ha!) and I were supposed to start on the oil paintings. But I was so nervous, "What have I gotten myself into?" I told myself. I didn’t think I could paint again, It’s been 9 years since I held a brush in my hand. I kept whispering to myself, "It’s like riding a bike, you never forget it. It’s just there, hidden somewhere in my brain."
I half-jokingly told Frauline that we should go National Bookstore and look for a book about oil paintings, we laughed so hard I might have peed a little. "That’s ridiculous!" she replied. But somehow we found ourselves walking towards the direction of the said bookstore and then she said, "Dapat yung Basics of Oil Painting ang hanapin natin."
We didn’t find any book about oil painting. Gulp! We’re doomed!

"When are you coming?"
she texted.
"We will call you when we’re in Rockwell already."
Of all places, I never thought I’d feel comfy hanging out in Rockwell. Jologs kasi. The people from Starbucks and Grams Diner are rather friendly and not as snubbish as I thought they were, although they might think of us as "pick-up girls" because Gee’s driver usually pick us up from Starbucks, since taxis are not allowed inside Bel Air. What a bad-looking ‘pick-up girls’, they must think. Speaking of Bel Air, man, it’s so quiet there, as in really quiet and peaceful, I love that village, Frauline and I probably spent more time in Bel Air than in our own houses this past week. A ‘For Sale’ sign hangs from one the houses there, near Gee’s house. Frauline suggested that we buy that house so we won’t have to commute – going to Rockwell everyday. One thing I notice though, rich people are never home, they’re always someplace else. If I lived in one of those old beautiful houses, I’d never leave home!
Anyway, we’re nearly finish with our paintings, after hours of praying…after spending more than an hour on sketching on the canvass and another 30 minutes or so on mixing colors, my painting hands finally came around. I didn’t forget how to paint, after all. The smell of linseed oil mixed with oil paint is so addicting. I love it. I might paint again and teach my kids too, that’ll be cool.

No comments: