Friday, December 23, 2005

The Domestication of Sheila?

I GOT SACKED TODAY!
To all my friends, please consider this my official sugar-coated "press release." So I don't have to repeat this story to everyone over and over again. :)
Actually, I got sacked yesterday but I signed the papers today, so Dec. 23, 2005 is the official day. I wasn't really surprised at all, I sensed it coming my way months before the management (parang andami) talked to me. The company that I work for (I'm still here until Jan. 22, 2006) is having a bit(?) of a dry spell and so they had to cut down their people. I'm the only person left in the creative department, they retrenched me, go figure.
The thing that's bothering me is that after they informed me that they're letting me go, they offered me a job as a consultant. They're asking me to report on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays for 5 hours each day. Should I be thankful or should I be insulted? I'm not really sure how I should feel about it.
But I think I'm gonna accept their offer. I asked them for a little raise for my 'consultancy' fee and I hope they give it to me. The company really need to cut down expenses, cut down people to survive. I hope they do. I think a little 'raise' won't hurt them, after all, they don't have to pay me my whole salary monthly, they don't have to give me benefits and all. Not too bad a deal.
I don't have any problem talking about my retrenchment and writing about it, but when I read and signed my Notice of Termination, SHIT! reading the word TERMINATION hit me big time. I've never been terminated my whole life! But, really, I feel okay, as long as I don't read my notice. At least, I have my separation pay to look forward to. Sana lang ibigay.
I talked to my kids, I explained to them that we may need to cut down our konting luho because nanay doesn't have a job anymore, they felt sad for a moment, I thought it was because of the happy meals and kiddie meals that we had to cut down, I was wrong, my son worriedly asked me "Nanay, talaga wala ka na tilbaho? Paano na house natin? Sleep na ba kami sa kansada?" See, my son is quite mature for his age, he still can't write well but he understands. But you know how kids are, they don't take anything seriously for a long time, after a minute or so they realized that they will see me more often around the house, I could make them sandwiches for baon instead of buying them, I could pick them up from school every Tuesdays and Thursdays...silly kids. They're quick to cry, they're quick to laugh, they're quick to forgive, pure innocent souls.
Maybe God has a better plan for me or maybe this is his way of telling me to be a better mother to my kids and a better wife to my husband? I'm not a bad mother and I'm not a bad wife either but I haven't really been superb at it also. My husband smiled when I told him about my status in the office, I was sure he wanted to jump and scream, I'm sure he's celebrating, but he didn't show it. He just said "Good, I'll see more of you around the house." Maybe it's high time for me to be domesticated. Waaaahhh... parang farm animal.
I wonder how long will I be able to do it before I look for another day job? The last time I took the role of a full time housewife and mother, I went mad. Will I be better this time? Will I become the sixth "Desperate Housewives?" Maybe I should write Richard Quest and tell him about my "Quest?"
At the moment, I'm not at all worried because I have a tutoring job on weekends, thank God, I could even accommodate more tutoring jobs on weekdays since I'm free on Tuesdays and Thursdays. I may not be totally financially dependent on my husband, at least, not yet. If there's one thing I hate is asking for money. There's no better feeling than buying what you want using the money that you worked hard and sweated for. It's all about freedom, baby! Not being dependent on anyone, specially when it comes to money.

No comments: