Friday, August 5, 2005

My (not so) Secret Life as a Tutor

For about a month now I’ve been spending my weekends in Bel-Air, Makati. I am now a part-time tutor, instead of spending my weekends with my kids…I am hanging out with a Korean girl from International School. What a bad mother my kids must think of me!
I really didn’t want to accept this tutoring job, I cancelled our meeting 3 times, hoping that she’ll get mad and finally decide that I am not what she’s looking for. I told her that I don’t do freehand drawings anymore and I’m too busy with my work, but the truth was I wasn’t really sure if I could still draw. It’s been more than 8 years since I last drew something that I could be proud of and I’m not sure if I could squeeze her in my schedule – with my motherly duties and all.
But she won’t leave me alone!
So, I agreed to meet her at last, I took Frauline with me, of course. She really could come in handy just in case the Korean girl turns out to be a spoiled brat or something worst. Frauline could easily make anyone laugh. So, anyway, the Korean girl turned out to be a very cute and sweet girl. Frauline mentioned that she looked like Sandara Parks, I agreed with her although I didn’t know who Sandara Parks was. She still insisted that I tutor her, I told her that I really can’t but I will find her another "teacher", I was thinking of Jess at the time, but he was in Cebu. So I didn’t really have a choice but to take the tutoring job. I also got Frauline as a substitute tutor whenever I am not available. Instead of one she got two tutors instead.
Then she told us about the drawings that she needed, she needed 3 drawings, a bicycle, an interior or exterior environment and anything of her choice. She said she needed those drawings as a requirement for a school in New York. WHAT!!! Did I hear it right? Did she really say New York? Suddenly, I thought about Anderson Cooper, he lives in New York and works for CNN New York and this Korean girl is going to New York, wow! do you see the connection here?
My planned 15-minute meeting with
her extended to almost 2 hours, I eventually told her that I am crushing on
some anchor/reporter named Anderson Cooper from CNN NY, but she doesn’t know him so I took out his picture from
my bag (may picture talaga?) and showed her. "Yeah, I know him!" she said. Hay, salamat!

We ended up laughing and giggling like high
school girls…wait a minute, she is in highschool, we’re not. I even
half-jokingly asked her to go all stalker-ish on Cooper when she gets
to New York. "I’ll try." she said.

Thinking back, she must think I’m nuts.
"When do you want us to start?" I asked her with a straight face cause I didn’t want to reveal the wicked thoughts inside my head (this girl could be my ticket to NY). "Right away." she said. That’s my story, that’s how I ended up being a tutor and staying my weekends with her.
It’s been a fun ride eversince, Frauline and I would go to Starbucks in Rockwell every weekend and wait for her driver to pick us up. Frauline and I feel like we’re in college again, beating school project deadlines, buying magazines and other art materials ( I carry my sketch pad with me everywhere I go nowadays), talking silly, laugh all afternoon and teaching the kid filipino lessons for free.
Oh and that part about her, being my ticket to NY… just kidding folks! Just one of my delusions.

No comments: